Welcome to our new blog! In the next few weeks, we’ll be talking about how you can keep energy costs for your Southwest Florida home under control. Whether you live in Marco Island, Ft. Myers or anywhere in between, we’ll give you the information you need to save money and stay comfortable. The focus will be on 5 main topics of concern for Southwest Florida homeowners:
1. Maintenance- You can save 15-20% on your energy bills just by performing routine maintenance. Inspect your condensate drains, clean evaporator and condenser coils and adjust blower components regularly. Have your contractor do pre-season check-ups and show you what you can do yourself to keep your system working properly.
2. Thermostats- Consider a programmable thermostat. This is ideal for anyone away from home for long periods of time who doesn’t want to waste energy keeping an empty house comfortable. A properly programmed thermostat can save you almost $200 each year in energy costs.
3. Equipment replacement- Does your system need replaced? There are signs, if you know how to recognize them. Heat pumps and AC units over 10 years old and/or that need frequent repairs are major culprits when energy costs start to climb. Replacing an older system with an Energy Star model can reduce your costs by up to 20%.
4. Filters- Your system’s filters need checked every month, and cleaned or replaced as necessary. Dirty filters are often responsible for frequent repairs and early equipment failure.
5. Ducts- Leaky ducts affect your comfort, indoor air quality and safety. They also cost you money. Ducts that are not properly sealed can reduce system efficiency by as much as 20%, resulting in higher energy costs.
We’ll cover these subjects in more detail in future posts. So, stay tuned for more money-saving tips!