Almost every industry has its own special lingo. Home builders speak about headers, jack studs or knee walls. Automotive mechanics may use terms such as linkage, rotors or manifolds. Heating and air contractors have their own special terms, as well. If you decide to upgrade your air-conditioning system or if you find yourself needing a new system unexpectedly, it’s a good idea to familiarize yourself with some terms to help your search:
- Evaporator Coil: This coil pulls the heat from your indoor air. It contains refrigerant in the form of a vapor. This vapor absorbs the heat and removes it.
- Refrigerant:This is the chemical that travels though your air conditioning system. In the condenser, it’s a liquid. In the evaporator, it’s a vapor. Freon used to be the primary refrigerant, but other refrigerants are replacing Freon.
- Condenser Coil: As the heat is pulled from your home, it is transferred through the refrigerant to the condenser. Here is where the heat is released to the outside and the refrigerant again turns to a liquid.
- Compressor: The compressor is essentially a pump. It compresses and heats up the refrigerant and moves it through the system.
- Expansion Device: This allows the refrigerant to decompress. It removes the pressure from the refrigerant allowing it to cool.
- British Thermal Unit: The BTU is a heating or cooling measurement. One BTU is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of a pound of water by one degree.
- Ton: This is a measurement of cooling capacity. One ton is equal to 12,000 BTUs.
If you’re thinking about a new air-conditioning system, contact us at Conditioned Air. We’ll always take the time to explain any terms you may not understand.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about upgrading your cooling equipment and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Conditioned Air services Southwest Florida including cities Marco Island, Ft. Myers or anywhere in between. Visit our website to see our special offers to get started today!