Ductless mini split systems are an ideal cooling and heating choice for many homeowners, who capitalize on their unobtrusive installation, comfortable zoning control and energy efficiency. Properly maintaining ductless mini splits helps them continue to provide these benefits for years.
Ductless mini splits consist, basically, of an outdoor unit, one to four indoor air handlers and a thermostat for each indoor air handler. The air handlers are usually mounted on walls or ceilings. Because each air handler is equipped with its own thermostat — often operated via remote control — mini splits are essentially zoning systems: They allow temperature control at each air handler, allowing users in different areas of the home or building to control the temperature in their own space, independent of other users.
Mini split systems are ideal for the following uses:
- Room additions to which existing ductwork can’t be extended
- Multifamily dwellings
- Augmenting heating and cooling systems
Ductless mini splits have an average life span of 12 to 15 years. However, especially in our humid climate in Southwest Florida, mini splits require some light maintenance. Here are some tips for maintaining ductless mini splits:
- Check the air filters in the air handlers every month. A clean filter improves indoor-air quality, energy efficiency and performance and prevents freeze-ups.
- Spray down the outdoor unit every few months with the garden hose to help keep it clean. If it’s not cleaned regularly, the compressor may overheat, causing damage to the system.
- Keep the outdoor unit clear of debris, including weeds, grass, leaves or anything else that might hinder operation.
- Check monthly to ensure that the system is draining properly by noting runoff.
- Schedule regular preventive maintenance visits with a heating and cooling professional to optimize performance, efficiency and longevity. Your heating and cooling technician will check points including refrigerant levels, moving mechanical parts and electrical connections.
Contact Conditioned Air today. Our expert technicians will provide you with quality service and advice to keep your ductless mini split in top shape. We’ve served homeowners in Naples, Fort Myers, Charlotte and Sarasota since 1962.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Heating and cooling image via Shutterstock